Wednesday, May 30, 2007

What's up with Sophi

Warning: this might be too much for the squeamish.

About three weeks ago, Sophi (my 11.5-year-old dog), was having trouble peeing and pooping. I took her to the vet to discover she had a severe urinary track infection that was so bad, she was clinching everything. Her bowels were backed up pretty bad. We took X rays, she got two enimas and a couple prescriptions. It was obvious she wasn't comfortable.

So, after a day or so, she returned to normal. Kind of. The infection cleared and she peed just fine now, but it took her about 3 times the effort to produce something solid. But, she was in good spirits and we were patient.

The baby came and the day we came home, Sophi seemed weak. She stumbled at the door and was lethargic. I took her to the vet (after getting the plumbing unclogged---first day back home from the hospital mind you). The vet said I could use fish oil and gloucosimine for her bad leg. She favors a hind leg and it's losing muscle mass.

Then, this weekend, I noticed she struggled again for number two. I took her to the vet on Monday to find out she has colitis. He gave her a shot and three more prescriptions and said she should improve by dinner. She did improve a little, even produced a small amount, but she wasn't normal. She stopped coming into the house and just stayed in the yard trying. Then, she'd lay down for a spell, wake up and try in vain again.

I called the vet yesterday with my concern and he said give her until Friday. I gave her her pills last night and she ate grass and threw them up. She spent the night outside last night, but came in around 9am this morning and I gave her six pills (the sixth is a vet recommended Tylonal with codeine. I'm keeping watch on her to make sure she keeps the pills down. I was afraid this morning I was going to find a stiff dog outside. In addition to all this, another symptom (understandably) is a lack of appetite. Sophi hasn't eaten in at least a day or so.

So, there we are. I'm keeping up with meds and making sure she rests. I don't think she slept well yesterday or last night.

Meanwhile, Zoe is awesome. Her existence is helping me cope with the facts and the inevitable. The above photo is Sophi in Miami at 9 weeks old.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I'm so sorry, Nate. Poor, sweet Sophi. Is there any chance she'll recover?