Thursday, July 19, 2007

Two months and a range

Today is Zoe's two-month birthday. It seems like it was years ago she was born, but in a good way. I'm happy to report everyone is doing well and getting rest.



I reported a couple weeks ago about how I was waiting on the installer for our new cooktop range. I never followed up on that story.

We went to Best Buy on a Sunday to purchase the range you see to the left. We chose it mainly because it was about $600 cheaper than the other options and we wanted to continue to have a downdraft fan.

So, the delivery dude shows up at 5:59pm (window closed at 6pm) and got to work. He was a talker and got $50 out of me to get a part and make a few adjustments. It was close to dinner time and I just wanted the thing installed so I could start cooking some ground turkey. The clerk at the store didn't mention the downdraft fan needed the "transition" part and our old unit was so old, it had a different shaped vent. Long story short, the delivery guy ran to Home Depot to make it work.

He get the whole unit in and starts to tell me to go flip the breaker. But, he realized he hadn't put the burners in yet. He looked through the boxes, no burners. We call the store and confirm, they are separate.

It turns out, the unit we chose is modular and it's cheaper because it doesn't come with burners. After warranties, delivery and such, we were at an $850 cost with no burners. The clerk that Sunday didn't know. No one at the store, it turned out, had ever sold this cooktop and they had no idea they needed to make a special order. That is until the installer and I called around 8:30pm the following Thursday. There was nothing they could do that night and I was told to call the manager the next day.

The installer left with my $50 check and I rushed to Boston Market to feed the family.

The next day, the manager told me I needed two burner modules, $300 each. Do the math, that's as much as the other units that we were more interested in. But, the manager put an offer on the table because she knew (and admitted) they messed up. They bought one burner out and out and gave us the second one at cost. The other glitch, it'll take two weeks for them to arrive.

So, on Tuesday we got the burners. I made breakfast tacos at midnight, determined to cook something. The fan was great with the bacon and overall I think we're set. We had a sort of late night that night because Yvonne was playing poker on the 360 and I downloaded Full Tilt Poker. Yeah, we're nerds. Poor Zoe.

No comments: