Sunday, November 19, 2006

Another brick in the wall

When we moved into this house, I began the path of landscaping. If you read this blog around the time we moved here, you'll noticed the topic shifts severely to yard work. As part of our move in, we had some major work done on the yard, which including a retaining wall. It ran from our alley, around a corner and to the end of a bed. From there, it was grass and a steep ass hill.

But the grass was having trouble rooting because the hill was so steep. Limestone rocks flushed out of the soil during heavy rains. Before the wall, soil washed down across the sidewalk. With the first retaining wall, soil washed out around the end of it.

So, saturday the Boneshakers and I finished the wall. Two slabs of stones were delivered. 288 stones in all. 20 pounds each. And right away it wasn't easy. We hit a large limestone boulder in the initial stages. After bending my garden mattock trying to chip at it, I went at bought the Pick Axe of Destiny.

Among the silly things said by various Boneshakers during the work:

"There's GOLD in these here hills!"-Warlord
"HULK SMASH"-Shaman
"Takin' a break here, boss."-Ronan
"Take a break and pick up a shovel."-Shaman
"You stupid rock! You killed my father and now you're coming for me!"-Warlord

Following and during one break from the work, Yvonne (aka, the Assassin) made food for us. A great lasagna for dinner with cherry pie and ice cream.

Sunday, we were sore all over. I still have to back fill it with soil. But the wall is done and now I don't have to worry about the ground shifting around. I might tweak a portion of it to smooth it out, but nothing close to as major.

Who knows? Maybe I'll get a sprinkler system in 5 years.

No comments: